Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A funny thing happened...

Last night I had a dream that I was driving my car West on US 33, towards Columbus. As I was veering left on the ramp in order to stay on 33 W (you know, where it forks towards Lancaster and the speed limit picks back up to 65) I took a sharp left and drove off of the (now) bridge. I remember thinking, "Oh shit." Then there was suddenly water beneath me and the car, and the road was no longer behind/above me. I slowly made my descent and remember that the water below was relatively still, save for the ripples of the wind and I thought to myself, "It's okay, I am going to survive this." Maybe that was when I had the "Ah ha!" moment in realizing that it was all a dream because just as I the car was about to hit the water, I readied myself to jump out (naturally, my sunfire became a convertible making it so much easier to make my escape) and I woke up.

I am no dream interpreter. If I had to guess I would say that I dreamed about driving to Columbus because I have driven there three times in the last two weeks and maybe I am stressed so the car going off the bridge symbolizes that, or something. Makes sense.

If I was a dream interpreter maybe I would say that driving a car represents my life and my ability to move forward. The road will take me to my goals. Could the road represent my desire to become a professor? Unfortunately, in my dream, I drove off the road. The thing is, I drove off the road. In my dream, I chose to take that hard left. Perhaps that hard left represents my decision to stay in Athens for a little while, the decision to do the AmeriCorps gig. So I have chosen to deviate from my path for the time being, I'm still making progress. But in the dream the consequences were not violent. Even as the car careened off of the bridge/road, I had the mindset that everything would be okay. The water is calm. Supposedly water represents emotion and I would say that hits the nail - spot on. And I survive the fall. So I assume anyway, otherwise I don't believe I would have woken up as I had.

So, dreams have a funny way of telling us what our subconscious is thinking. While I am no dream interpreter, it is kind of interesting to ponder. Also, reassuring. If this is all shades of confusing to you, I am not going to apologize. Maybe you should call me and catch up, eh?

Oh right, one last thing. When I woke up from my dream, I was lying on my side and I opened my eyes and I saw something looking down on me. Whatever it was, looked translucent green and red and it gave me chills but I had already grappled with the fact that I had been dreaming a crazy dream just seconds before and I was too tired to be afraid. So, I rolled over, ignoring whatever it was (and it was probably nothing) glanced at the clock (it was 3:48am), groaned and fell asleep once again.

Needless to say, it was creepy to think about this morning.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment